Cancer is second only to cardiovascular disease as the leading cause of death in the Western world. Although Cancer is primarily a disease of the elderly with more than 60% of deaths from cancer occurring in those over the age of 65, cancer can strike even the youngest of children. Cancer appears to occur when the growth of cells in the body is out of control and cells to divide too rapidly. Carcinomas can develop in almost any tissue or organ, such as the lung, colon, breast, skin, bones, or nerve tissue.
Most common sites are:
*Colon and Rectum 9%.
The cause of Cancer is believed to be a combination of genetic factors and outside carcinogens such as tobacco, viruses, infection, asbestos, vinyl chloride, inappropriate diet. But sometimes cancers start in places where it does not cause any symptoms until cancer has grown quite large. Pancreatic cancers, for example, do not usually grow large enough to be felt from the outside of the body.
Treatment of Cancer in Panama.
Cancer can be treated by a number of methods and therapies. Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation Therapy, Immunotherapy, monoclonal antibody therapy and new treatments like Cyber Knife Radiosurgery are some of the procedures used in the treatments of cancer.
With state of the art facilities and low cost, cancer treatment in Panama attracts a large number of medical tourists from across the world. Almost all big hospitals in Panama provide cancer treatment. Besides, the high success rate of cancer treatment in Panama is a major factor in bringing medical tourists.
Blood cancer or Leukemia is the cancer of the blood or bone marrow and is characterized by an abnormal reproduction of blood cells (usually white blood cells). However, Leukemia is a broader term which incorporates a spectrum of diseases. This is a malignant form of blood- formulating organs.Treatment of Cancer in Panama:
Blood cancer is rather a cluster of cancers developed in the blood cells, and therefore the patients with leukemia require special treatment. The special cancer centers can only meet those special needs. The treatment of blood cancer is a complete program which the patients have to follow to achieve best results.
1. Chemotherapy: is the first method to destroy those leukemia cells by the usage of anti-cancer drugs.
2. Interferon therapy: is effective to slow down the rate of reproduction of the leukemic cells and helps the immune system to build sufficient anti- leukemia activity.
3. Radiation therapy: this therapy is effective to kill cancer cells with the process of exposure to high- energy radiations.
4. Stem Cell Transplantation: This procedure is required to enable treatment with high doses of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
5. Surgery: The surgery is performed for the removal of an enlarged spleen or to install a venous access device to give medications and withdraw blood samples.
Being diagnosed with any cancer is a life-altering situation, and of course, it requires careful thinking and planning. While going to Panama is cost-effective, it can also be quite daunting to think of going to a totally different country for treatment. But if you are well informed and know what exactly to expect once you are there, then it can be quite a pleasant trip.